October 14 in Slovenian history: Illyria provinces created by Napoleon, capital of Ljubljana
In 1809, Napoleon signed a decree establishing a special status zone called Illyrian Province (Slo: Ilirske Province), which was directly subordinate to the French central government. This included West Carinthia with Villach, Gorizia, Trieste and its surroundings, Istria, the Croatian part of Karlovac, Dalmatia with Zadar, the Republic of Dubrovnik and Boka Kotorska. Ljubljana became the provincial administrative and cultural capital.
The purpose of this territorial formation was not the restoration of Slavic Illyria, as Valentin Vodnik wrote in Illyria, revived in 1811, but the creation of a buffer zone along the Adriatic coast to cut German land from the sea and direct land between France and the Middle East.
Despite the dissatisfaction of the Slovenian people with the severe economic crisis (trade with Austria was blocked) and the new tax burden and the recruitment of men to the French army, the four years of government under the French authorities were still quite important to the government. Slovenian language and cultural development.
First Provincial Governor-General, Marshal August Marmont, assured that primary and secondary school levels are all in Slovenia, while Valentin Vodnik is responsible for providing textbooks. To this end, he published the first Slovenian grammar written - literacy or grammar for the first schools. He also became principal of the elementary school and director of the public and art schools.
The integration of the Slovenian countries into the Illyrian provinces significantly influenced the development of the Slovenian nationalist movement. After Napoleon's defeat, however, Austria gained full control and sovereignty over the Slovenian lands in 1813, while Valentin Vodnik ran into trouble with the support of the French. He was banned from working in schools in 1815 and died four years later.